This is a great, spicy soup that is simple to make. I enjoy this soup especially in winter when its 20 degrees, and you just shoveled 12 inches of snow. It will warm you up fast!
Prep Time: 20 minutes Cook Time: 6 hours in crock pot Yield: 8 servings
- 1/2 lb pork belly - large diced
- 2lbs smoked ham hocks
- 1lb dried refried beans (soaked and drained)
- 1 large yellow onion large diced
- 3 jalapeno peppers sliced in half, stems removed
- 2 32oz. chicken broth packages (64 oz. total)
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 bottle IPA Beer
- 1 tbsp. chili powder
- 1 tbsp. garlic powder
- 1 tbsp. cumin powder
- 1 tbsp. dried oregano
- Salt and black pepper to taste
*The night before rinse and cover the dried refried beans with water and let soak overnight.
In separate pan, saute the diced pork belly until golden brown on both sides, remove and drain.
In a crock pot add all the ingredients, stir to incorporate and cover. Cook for 6 hours and be sure to stir a few times throughout the cooking process.
I prefer to eat the soup the next day after cooking. All the flavors have aged and it's a more flavorful soup.